Check 21 Exception Processing™
Fully automated exception item processing
Check 21 Exception Processing fully automates exception item processing including incoming and outgoing returns, chargebacks, and adjustments. This solution imports outgoing return items and determines each item’s origin using integrated access to the Check 21 Cash Letter application. The Check 21 Exception Processing module then determines if the items originating from other institutions were presented physically or electronically. Check 21 Exception Processing automatically returns electronic items to the bank of first deposit for processing, and generates substitute checks for items that were presented physically. For outgoing or incoming on-us return items, customer profiles are automatically queried to determine if items should be re-deposited. Items that have been deposited twice are charged-back against depositor accounts, and the required substitute checks, customer notices, applicable fees, and DDA and general ledger entries are system-generated.
This solution is available to banks automated by the SilverLake System®, CIF 20/20®, and Core Director platforms.
What It Does
- Automates exception item processing including incoming and outgoing returns, chargebacks and adjustments.
- Imports outgoing return items and determines each item’s origin with integrated access to Jack Henry’s Check 21 Cash Letter solution.
- Determines if outgoing return items were presented physically or electronically.
- Returns electronically presented items to the institution of first deposit for processing.
- Generates substitute checks for return items physically presented.
- Queries customer profiles to determine if outgoing or incoming return items should be re-deposited.
- Generates chargebacks against depositor accounts and substitute checks for items that have been deposited twice.
- Generates all the necessary customer notices.
- Generates all the necessary DDA and general ledger entries.
- Determines any applicable fees.
- Eliminates the need to have physical items in order to determine their disposition.
- Provides a browser-user interface to support any necessary reviews of individual items.
- Provides the ability to implement this module prior to item image exchange.
What It Does For You
- Leverages the cost benefits and operational improvements inherent in Check 21-enabled check image clearing.
- Optimizes the opportunities to enhance exception processing that are inherently generated by Check 21 and image exchange.
- Streamlines work flow with a fully automated process.
- Improves back room efficiencies by eliminating cycle sorting and exception item pull.
- Reduces the related labor requirements.
- Reduces operating costs.
- Reduces human errors inherent in manual processes.
- Reduces the risks associated with exception processing.